Toxic Exposure

Camp Lejeune Lawyer

Connect with an attorney

Active case

Marines and their families who were serving at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, between August 1953 and December 1987 may have been exposed to toxic chemicals through contaminated water. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, water at the base was found to have volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that have been linked to serious health conditions.

If you or a loved one have experienced serious health issues from time served at Camp Lejeune, you may now seek compensation from the government through the Camp Lejeune Justice Act. Motley Rice has several Camp Lejeune lawyers who can help you navigate the claims process, file a claim, and advocate on your behalf. 

How a Camp Lejeune water contamination lawyer can help

The Camp Lejeune Justice Act, passed by Congress and signed into law in 2022, allows people who have suffered serious health problems related to Camp Lejeune water contamination to file a claim for compensation with the government. A Camp Lejeune lawyer can help you through the legal process to seek compensation for such injuries.

A Camp Lejeune lawyer may be able to help you: 

  • Gather evidence related to your claim
  • Work with you to file the correct paperwork
  • Bring your claim to court, if necessary

The Camp Lejeune water contamination administrative claim process

Under the Camp Lejeune Justice Act (CLJA), veterans and their loved ones must first file an administrative claim with the Department of the Navy. This requires individuals to submit a claim form to the Department of the Navy. The claim form requires the following information:

  • The dates you or a loved one were on base at Camp Lejeune
  • Your or your loved one’s work, if any, at Hadnot Point Industrial Area at Camp Lejeune
  • What illness you are claiming and medical records to support it
  • If you are filing a claim on behalf of a deceased loved one, the name the Personal Representative for their Estate

Once you’ve submitted an administrative claim, the Department of the Navy has six months to process the claim. If they fail to process the claim in this time or deny the claim, then you may file a lawsuit in federal court.

Filing a Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuit

If the Department of the Navy fails to fully process your claim or denies it, you may file a Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuit with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. 

While there is no requirement that you have an attorney, a Camp Lejeune lawsuit lawyer can help take the stress out of filing a lawsuit against the federal government, navigate the nuances of receiving compensation while on government healthcare, and give you a voice in this litigation. Having a law firm with experience handling toxic exposure claims can mean a better chance at getting the compensation you deserve for what you or a loved one suffered.

Contact a Camp Lejeune attorney

If you or a loved one served, worked or lived at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987, and developed severe health complications, a knowledgeable toxic exposure attorney can advocate for you or your loved one.

Email or call 866.855.9017 anytime for more information.

Contact a Camp Lejeune attorney today

Who should consider reaching out to a Camp Lejeune attorney?

To be eligible to file an administrative claim with the Department of the Navy or to later file a lawsuit, you or your family member must have:

  • Served at or lived on base or otherwise been exposed to contaminated drinking water at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987
  • Spent at least 30 days in this time period at Camp Lejeune
  • Suffered serious health problems that may be linked to chemicals in the drinking water at Camp Lejeune

If this applies to you or a loved one, consider reaching out to Motley Rice today to speak with a Camp Lejeune lawsuit attorney for a free case evaluation.

When should someone reach out to a Camp Lejeune lawyer?

If you believe that you or a loved one may need help with your Camp Lejeune water contamination claim, you should be aware that there is a deadline for filing all administrative claims with the Department of Navy. As with most all litigation, if you do not file your administrative claims by the deadline, they will be forever barred and you will not be able to file an administrative claim for your injuries. The deadline in this matter is currently in front of a Federal Judge.

Our history representing veterans in litigation

Motley Rice is proud to represent veterans and their families. In addition to our Camp Lejeune clients, we have litigated cases for veterans and service members involving avoidable hazards that hurt U.S. troops and contractors, including:

  • Asbestos and other toxic material exposure
  • 3M earplugs and hearing loss
  • EFP roadside bombs manufactured by terrorists
  • Burn pit toxins at military facilities

Our law firm has the experience to file your claim, litigate your case and negotiate for a Camp Lejeune settlement.

Read more on our work in support of veterans.

Frequently asked questions for Camp Lejeune attorneys

What chemicals were in the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune?

A number of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were in the drinking water at Camp Lejeune. These chemicals include:

  • Perchloroethylene (PCE)
  • Trichloroethylene (TCE)
  • Benzene
  • Vinyl chloride

The highest levels of these chemicals were found in the drinking water from two water treatment plants, Tarawa Terrace and Hadnot Point. This area was contaminated primarily due to poor waste disposal practices, leaking underground storage tanks, and industrial area spills.

What health conditions can be caused by to Camp Lejeune drinking water?

The Court has divided the health conditions linked to contaminated drinking water at Camp Lejeune into categories, or tracks. Presumed injuries caused by the Camp Lejeune water contamination that are in Track 1 are: 

There are other serious health problems that may be caused by toxic water exposure at Camp Lejeune including liver cancer, multiple myeloma, systematic sclerosis/scleroderma, aplastic anemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, other kidney disease, and cardiac birth defects. A Camp Lejeune attorney can help you assess if the condition you or a family member have suffered from may be linked to toxic water exposure at Camp Lejeune.

Do I need a lawyer for Camp Lejeune water contamination claims?

You may file a claim on behalf of yourself or a loved one without a lawyer; however, if you are filing on behalf of a deceased loved one, you need to have an Estate opened before filing an administrative claim However, many people choose to rely on the knowledge of a Camp Lejeune attorney to help reduce the stress that may come with filing a claim against the government.

How much will I have to pay for a Camp Lejeune lawsuit?

We represent our clients on a contingency fee basis. This means you will not pay any fees or expenses unless you obtain a recovery. If you receive compensation, our fee will be a percentage of your recovery and will be calculated before any of your claim and lawsuit costs and expenses are deducted. Costs and expenses will be deducted and paid from your recovery.

Are there scams related to Camp Lejeune claims?

An unfortunate number of scams are related to Camp Lejeune claims. Scammers may offer help with Camp Lejeune administrative claims or even with VA benefits. If you’re interested in exploring your legal options, please consider contacting a law firm like Motley Rice that has experience handling toxic exposure claims.

Primary Contact

Working with Us

Wondering what happens when you submit a form or give us a call? We spend time gathering information from you, and your initial call is always free.

What's important?

  • Names
  • Dates
  • Timeline of events
  • Related documents
Connect with an attorney 1.800.768.4026