Toxic Exposure | Personal Injury and Wrongful Death

How to File a Claim for Camp Lejeune Water Contamination

Connect with an attorney

Active case

If you or a loved one got sick after serving at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, between August 1953 and December 1987, you may be eligible for financial compensation from the Department of the Navy. Here’s how to file a claim for Camp Lejeune water contamination.

How do I file a claim for Camp Lejeune water contamination?

As part of the PACT Act, the Camp Lejeune Justice Act (CLJA) allows people impacted by toxic exposure at Camp Lejeune to seek compensation directly from the Navy. The Camp Lejeune claim process starts with filing an administrative claim. A lawsuit may be an option if your claim is denied, if the Navy does not make a final disposition of your claim within six months, or if you receive an inadequate settlement offer.

It’s important to note that the information below is not legal advice, as each claim is unique. The claims process can be complicated and putting incomplete or incorrect information may impact your ability to get compensation. If you want additional help with the claims process, consider reaching out to a Camp Lejeune lawyer before submitting your claim with the Navy.

1. Verify that you qualify for a Camp Lejeune water contamination claim

To be able to file a claim under the CLJA, you must show:

  • Presence: You were at U.S. Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, for at least 30 days between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987.
  • Exposure: While there, you were directly exposed to contaminated water.
  • Harm: You experienced harm that can be linked to the toxic water, whether directly or by an increased likelihood of experiencing it.

In particular, the administrative claim may focus on the following health conditions: 

Other medical conditions may qualify you for compensation as well. If you or a family member meet these criteria, you can move forward with your Camp Lejeune water contamination claim.

2. Gather medical and service documentation

Although you may not have to submit any medical or service documentation when you initially file a claim, having these documents available can help you complete the necessary claim form. The documents can also help if the Navy requests more information before considering offering you a Camp Lejeune settlement or if you need to proceed with a water contamination lawsuit.

Types of documents you may need include:

  • Service records for you or your loved one
  • Medical records showing the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and symptoms of Camp Lejeune water contamination

3. Complete the CLJA claim form

Once you’re ready to proceed, you’ll need to complete the CLJA claim form. This document covers the basic information the Navy needs to handle the claim for you or your loved one.

The CLJA claim form will request information such as:

  • Your name, address, date of birth, and time of exposure
  • Your basis for a claim
  • The nature of your personal injury or wrongful death claim
  • Any agents representing you or your loved one
  • The amount of your claim

You can download the document and save it in PDF format using the file name format shown below. If you download and print the form, complete the hard copy of the form. Scan the completed form into PDF format. Email the PDF of the completed form to the address shown. Please note the following:

You may follow the full instructions provided by the Navy to complete the document. These documents should be completed with care and attention to detail. Incorrectly filling them out can result in people being forever barred from receiving compensation. An attorney can help to fully complete the necessary information.

Filing deadlines are important. The filing deadline in this matter is in front of a federal judge.

4. Wait for next steps

Unfortunately, there can be a long wait for the next steps related to your Camp Lejeune water contamination claim. This wait is due in part to the massive number of people impacted by Camp Lejeune toxic water who are filing claims.

Depending on the facts of your claim and the Navy’s ability to process it, you may expect one of the following next steps:

  • The Navy may reach out for additional documentation before making a settlement offer.
  • You may receive a Camp Lejeune settlement offer based on the Elective Option (EO) for a predetermined amount of compensation based on your condition.
  • Your claim may be denied.

You may be eligible to file a lawsuit if your claim is denied, if you don’t receive a settlement offer within six months or you receive a settlement offer that you feel is unfair for the pain you or a loved one experienced.

5. File a Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuit

You may file a lawsuit in federal court if your claim is denied or if your claim isn’t resolved within six months. Under the CLJA, all Camp Lejeune lawsuits must be filed with the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. If you fail to file a lawsuit within six months (180 days) of receiving a denial of your claim, you may be barred from receiving compensation.

You are entitled to file the lawsuit on behalf of yourself or your loved one. While you may represent yourself, you are also allowed to have an attorney represent you in this process. A lawyer with experience handling complex federal litigation can simplify the process for you and your family.

Contact a Camp Lejeune water contamination attorney

If you or a loved one served, worked or lived at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987, and developed severe health complications, a knowledgeable toxic exposure attorney can help you weigh your options for compensation. We are available by email, or you can call 866.855.9017 for more information.

Contact a lawyer today.

FAQs for filing Camp Lejeune claims

Can I file a Camp Lejeune claim without a lawyer?

You’re not required to have a lawyer help you with your claim. However, omitting information or filing out the forms incorrectly could limit the amount of compensation you can receive or bar you from receiving any compensation.

A Camp Lejeune attorney can help you navigate through the claims process.

Should I provide information to someone reaching out to me about filing a Camp Lejeune claim?

Unfortunately, many scams are targeting veterans and their loved ones. Generally, you should not volunteer information or money to someone you don’t know who claims to be able to help you with your claim. Instead, consider contacting a law firm with a reputation for handling complex federal litigation that helps veterans and their families.

Read more about Camp Lejeune scams.

Our history of representing veterans

Motley Rice has a long history of helping veterans and their family members seek justice for preventable harms that have caused personal injuries and wrongful deaths.

We have represented claimants in litigation for:

  • Exposure to asbestos and other toxic materials
  • 3M earplugs and hearing loss
  • EFP roadside bombs manufactured by terrorists
  • Exposure to toxins released from burn pits at military facilities

Our law firm has the experience to help you with your claim, litigate your case, and negotiate for a Camp Lejeune settlement.

Read more on our work in support of veterans.

Primary Contact

Working with Us

Wondering what happens when you submit a form or give us a call? We spend time gathering information from you, and your initial call is always free.

What's important?

  • Names
  • Dates
  • Timeline of events
  • Related documents
Connect with an attorney 1.800.768.4026