News

« Back to News List

June 11, 2013

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: NC hotel linked to injury and deaths

Authorities in Boone, N.C., stated on Monday, June 10, 2013, that carbon monoxide poisoning in a hotel room at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza may be responsible for the death of an 11-year-old boy and the hospitalization of his mother on Saturday, June 8, as well as the deaths of a couple mysteriously found in the same room earlier this year.

Carbon monoxide was reportedly found in the boy’s room, and an autopsy found asphyxia to be the cause of the boy’s death. Toxicology tests have not yet been performed. Toxicology reports show that a couple from Washington in the same room also died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning nearly two months ago. The room in question is located near an indoor pool that is heated by a natural gas heater.

According to Sgt. Shane Robbins, as quoted in The Charlotte Observer, "The investigation and testing is ongoing."

Read more about carbon monoxide poisoning on our blog.

Learn more about how Motley Rice catastrophic injury lawyers represent victims and families who have experienced serious injury or death resulting from toxic exposure such as carbon monoxide inhalation, unexpected or uncontrollable fires, unsafe working conditions, defective or dangerous consumer products, roadway defects and other negligent acts.