With decades of diverse experience in personal injury, commercial and toxic tort law, Fred Thompson represents people harmed by negligence, product defects or misconduct. As a leader of the medical litigation team, Fred manages cases related to defective medical devices, harmful pharmaceutical drugs, medical malpractice, and nursing home abuse.
Fred is Liaison Counsel for a multidistrict litigation, In re Aqueous Film-Forming Foams Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2873, alleging severe health complications and environmental harms associated with the use of firefighting Aqueous Film-Forming Foams, which contain toxic PFAS chemicals. He has been appointed to numerous leadership positions, including:
- Co-lead coordinating counsel for the pelvic mesh lawsuits consolidated in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Plaintiffs' co-lead counsel for the Mirena® IUD multidistrict litigation in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Plaintiffs' co-lead counsel for the federal Digitek® consolidation
- Plaintiffs' Steering Committee member for the Medtronic Sprint Fidelis® defibrillator lead
- Plaintiffs' Steering Committee member for the Avandia® federal multidistrict litigation
- Plaintiffs' Steering Committee member for the Trasylol® federal multidistrict litigation
- Chairman of the American Association for Justice's Digitek® Litigation Group
- Co-chairman of the AAJ Kugel® Mesh Litigation Group.
Fred is also active with the firm’s consumer fraud, commercial and economic damage litigation. He has represented clients in litigation involving bond issues and securities fraud in federal, state and bankruptcy forums as well as through alternative dispute resolution. Additionally, Fred has practiced commercial transaction work, including contracting, corporate, partnership and limited liability company formation, and capital acquisitions.
Recognized as an AV® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell®, Fred frequently speaks on medical litigation topics at legal seminars throughout the country. He co-authored “Composix® Kugel® Mesh: A Primer” for the Spring 2008 AAJ Section on Toxic, Environmental & Pharmaceutical Torts newsletter. Fred serves his local community as a Board Member for the East Cooper Community Outreach organization.
J.D. with Distinction, Duke University School of Law, 1979
B.A. cum laude, Yale University, 1973
American Association for Justice
- South Carolina
Admitted to Practice Before
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina