October 19, 2015
Motley Rice once again named by Law360 as a “Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm”
For the second time, legal news outlet Law360 has named Motley Rice LLC one of its "Most Feared Plaintiffs Firms" of 2015.
Only 11 firms were selected for this recognition, which is based on Law360's assessment of those plaintiffs firms that "have won some of the largest and most impactful judgments and settlements over the past year."
“We’re truly honored to be recognized as a ‘Most Feared Plaintiffs Firm,’ and we plan to keep the momentum going. We’ve seen some great achievements this past year for our clients and we continue to take on new causes every day,” said Motley Rice co-founder Joe Rice.
The timeframe considered by Law360 for its 2015 list is for litigation wins between July 1, 2014, and July 1, 2015. During that time, Motley Rice played key roles in several cases recognized by Law360, including:
- Taking Arab Bank to trial in which a jury found the bank liable for material support of terrorist attacks, marking the first time that a financial institution has been brought to trial under the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA)
- Going to trial against medical device manufacturer Boston Scientific for one of our clients harmed by transvaginal mesh in which the jury found Boston Scientific liable and awarded $100 million in damages: $25 million in compensatory and $75 million in punitive damages
- Reaching an historic $100 million settlement with Lorillard Tobacco Company, Philip Morris and Reynolds Tobacco Company for approximately 400 Engle-progeny tobacco cases
- Negotiating the $1.028 billion settlement with Halliburton Energy Services regarding their role in the April 2010 BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill
- Reaching a $131 million settlement with Sprint on behalf of shareholders, who alleged that they had been misled about its progress with Nextel
*Prior results to do not guarantee a similar outcome.
Motley Rice client Mike Grady, who brought a lawsuit against American Medical Systems on behalf of his wife for a transvaginal mesh implant she unknowingly received during surgery, was quoted as saying, “If I wasn’t for plaintiffs firms like Motley Rice, this stuff would still be on the market.”
Law360 selects the Most Feared Plaintiffs Firms based on its internal assessment, including its editors reviewing cases based on case recovery and impact. The number of firms selected varies each year.